Innovative Electronic Gadgets: Iphone Turntable

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Iphone Turntable


Any audiophile worth their weight in 180 gram vinyl will gladly tell you that nothing sounds quite as good as a record. Unfortunately, the format has a few major drawbacks, like a lack of portability and the fact that it really sucks at making phone calls. The iPhone, on the other hand, is light years ahead of those fronts -- well, one of out two ain't bad. This new concept from designer Olivier Meynard offers the best of both worlds, embedding a horizontal iPhone dock next to a wheel of steel, so you can play back your favorite LP through the built-in speakers and encode those tracks as MP3s, which are uploaded to your handset as it charges. Finally, a way to turn your long out of print prog rock albums into ringtones, as they were meant to be heard.

There’s still life in your old vinyls
No there isn’t. I’m neither an audio bore nor a DJ, so I’ll be lucky to get a few quid for my LP collection on eBay.

But this is an iPhone dock, so it must be good
Ah, so now we’ve swapped places you think you can fob me off with a table that you can plug an iPhone into. For your information, I’ve been able to rip my tunes from my record collection via USB for years.

Yes, but this one has a soundbar
So does my two-year-old home cinema system. You can’t just put a load of stuff in a table and call it a Next Big Thing.

It does look nice, though
Yes it does. Even so, I think I’ll go back to the recommendations from now on. I might even try to do something that has an outside chance of being built.

0 comments:

google-site-verification=iuZusWfn524crQFOv6VvTPKKi3cb7w9w_ualkmQkF8Q